Saturday, February 11, 2012

Fishing Report - Laguna Madre, 2/9/12

Water is of course cold but clear and had the good fortune of hitting the tides about right. My son and his wife were visiting from Augusta, Ga so my neighbor and I took them out for some of the fishing they miss so much these days. The weather was absolutely horrible very cold, windy and raining sideways. Started by hitting some of my old (winter) standby spots in the canals and my neighbor hooked a nice keeper Trout and some small Reds. The plan was to go out to Emmords Hole but as the rain seemed to be moving in more and more we opted to stay close. Ran up into the Packary Channel and beached the boat on a spoil island. Almost immediately started catching Specks but with no keepers. We started with plastics, Gulp and some live shrimp on popping corks but moved out of desperation to bottom fishing shrimp. Much to my surprise we started boating keeper Trout with the rig as well as some small Flounder. Started running low on shrimp so I took some cut bait and used a BioEdge shrimp wand to try and tempt more fish. First cast out caught a Flounder the size of a trash can lid. By the end of the day despite some lousy weather came home with a dozen nice Trout three Flounder, and some Whiting. Needless to say my neighbor and I are going out again in the morning, no matter how bad the weather.

3 comments:

  1. Weekend Feb18,19 ,2012
    The report from the local water action or lack of from the, Unknown Tex, Fishing CC Crew on
    the bay.
    Lets start out with a big South Texas Corpus Christi,whats up. Had a weekend off so what to do
    family fun you bet family fishing you bet. Got up and hit some local pier’s you know the one’s.
    This time of the year you got that chance to hit them BIG BIG UGLY’S, Drum the ones that pull
    them rod’s over and, hit lite ,suck the bait in and run. Set the hook and feel the weight of what
    sometimes feels like a big rig wheel. My crew on this days was my son, daughter and her boy
    friend. We had our first hit on my daughters boy friends rig at about 0:530 AM. He was all pump
    and got ready for the fight. I saw the look on the young mans face when he set the hook and
    felt the weight of the Big UGLY, and the fight was on. My daughter also was working her rig for
    drum’s but being the young woman she is to out do the boys, she set up her rig for trouts and
    away she cast. She was working the lights, of the pier before the sunrise and no action. I sat
    back and just review this young gun crew work there rigs as this old man just enjoyed young
    people fishing. I ask my daughter whats up on her task to out do the boys? She gave me her
    smile and just keep working her rig. So being Big Daddy I said meja go to my tackle box and get
    the BIOEDGE. I got this stuff from George Kunkle a local think his a pro fisherman. But we call it
    the juice. I said put a few drops on her trout rig and BANG just like that she had fish on!
    And man let me tell you I did not think this stuff (juice) would work with the temp and tide and
    weather but it did and we have used it again on our local bays it helps.
    See you on the water till next time.
    Rico Chavarria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Report from past weekend 3,4, Mar 2012


    Well Well Well the fishing report from The South Texas Unknown Fishing CC Crew. The Action is a go at the Red Dot and COS Way for the Drum’s. All you have to do is keep them lines tight and have that drag set for some fun fishing action use shrimp,crab or sea lice. I also have seen the use of fish bites, I have had luck with gulp crab and some BIOEDGE crab and shrimp on my stuff its working. Folks please don't forget you lucky ones that hit the water on boats kick back those high speed fishing rigs/boats and slow down for the wake on the water. Its just the right thing to do. The fishing pier’s do have a lot of folks on them going after that drum run and there are a lot of lines in the water.


    Rico Chavarria

    ReplyDelete